29 April 2013

Energy Efficiency Certificate - frequently asked questions

Who does the new property law apply to?

The new law regarding energy efficiency in buildings comes into force on 1st June 2013. A Certificado de Eficiencia Energética is mandatory for everybody selling a home and must be obtained before a property is advertised. Rental properties that are occupied for more than 4 months of the year must obtain an EEC for prospective tenants. This applies to real estate agents, rental agents and private individuals. Detached properties with a total floor area of less than 50 square metres are exempt. The certificate is valid for 10 years. READ MORE >>>

What is a Certificado de Eficiencia Energética?

The English translation is Energy Efficiency Certificate, in the UK they are referred to as an Energy Performance Certificate. The certificate provides a rating for a building about energy efficiency and carbon monoxide emissions using an A to G scale. Think of your house like a new fridge freezer, in order to sell it you must display a EEC to a prospective buyer or tenant. READ MORE >>>

Why is the EEC being introduced into Spain?

The Spanish government is obligated by the European Parliament directive on the energy efficiency of buildings to reduce CO2 emissions. Following several years of delays, the EEC is about to be implemented on 1st June 2013. The new law will help, in part, to achieve Spain’s pledge to the Kyoto ProtocolREAD MORE >>>

Who can issue a EEC?

A valid EEC must be issued by an architect, engineer, or a qualified technician who is authorised to undertake building projects and thermal installations for buildings. The individual will have completed a special government training course on Existing Building Energy Certification, and be trained in the software designed to issue the certificate. They will belong to an official provincial association (colegio oficial) and have a member number.

Sparks work closely with a local architect in order to issue EECs. Our architect is registered at the Colegio de Arquitectos de Alicante having graduated with honours obtaining a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, so you can rest assured our Energy Efficiency Certificates are fully authorised. READ MORE >>>

What is the penalty if you don’t have a EEC?

Failure to comply will be considered an infringement on the law for certification of the energy performance of buildings. Moreover the offense is punishable under Consumer Protection LawSignificant fines will apply to real estate agents, rental agents, as well as private individuals in the region of 300 to 6,000 euros depending whether the infringement is considered minor, serious or very serious.

AVEN (Agencia Valenciana de la Energía) is the registry of the Comunidad Valenciana which shall be responsible for EEC inspection and control. The Region of Murcia will create a registry for its own Autonomous Community. The registries will establish and implement a system of independent monitoring. READS MORE >>>

How much does it cost?

The price is calculated on the total floor area of the property. GET A QUOTE FROM SPARKS >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment